[IIAB] IIAB

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Wed Jul 10 18:32:46 PDT 2013

Hi,

I think the simplest solution may be to put the IIAB on a hard drive and
ship it to me. I would be happy to pay the costs. One possibility is
that I buy a drive and have it shipped to you.

 From your description of the wsgi strategy, it should be
straightforward to implement for XS-0.7/Django. What I do is provide a
custom portal page for the Browse activity. This page has buttons for
the various collections (books, Sugar activities, and so on).

The standard XS-0.7 has a /library partition that is intended for all
content. Essentially, the IIAB content would be installed there as a
folder with wsgi access.

The real integration issue is to decide whether to access all of the
'library' content through the IIAB gui or build custom access or ... For
example, the library now has the English pdfs from OLE Nepal's
E-Pustakalaya. Some of these are also part of the Project Gutenburg
collection (e.g. Tom Sawyer) but many are not (e.g. the Creative Commons
books from India). The kids should have one path to access all of the
digital library, if possible.

I think the biggest problem is to set up a 'search' mechanism.
Currently, the mechanism is title or author. However, kids need ways to
find items of interest when they have no idea of title or author. The
best example I have seen so far is the 'simple search' page on
International Children's Digital Library. It clearly is designed for use
by kids.

Currently I am traveling by camper round and about Europe. At the moment
I am parked on the edge of the Adriatic (about 300m) in Croatia. Friday
I am off to Hungary to meet friends. However, a hard drive could be sent
to Rudolf Simon in Stuttgart or Christopher Derndorfer in Vienna and I
could arrange to pick it up. Rudolf is the sponsor of the laptops at the
Saint Jacob's school in Rwanda.

I have offered to help Kishwer Aziz get a server set up in London before
she leaves for Pakistan. I have not heard back yet. However, this could
be a way to get her a good copy of IIAB to take to Pakistan (as well as
meet her technical concerns).

Incidentally, if you are interested I could make a copy of the content
now on the schoolserver to send to you for possible inclusion in IIAB.

Tony