[IIAB] [XSCE] IIAB and XSCE

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 11:31:36 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Braddock <braddock at braddock.com> wrote:

> Hi George, Jerry, et al,
> I'm trying to get a handle on the IIAB issues.
>
> 1. X-Sendfile Apache module not installed.
>
> It sounds like from Jerry that this resolved.  Was this a bug in my
> INSTALL.txt documentation or just a missed step?
>
> 2. IIAB USB Drive dataset copy not working
>
> What method did you use to make the copy?  Have you determined the
> cause of the failure?  Is this still an open issue?

This was the disk that I started copying with an XO, at USB2 speeds, for
30hrs.  Then we completed the copy with a laptop at USB3 speeds, with a
different rsync.  We're redoing the copy from the original drive to the
drive that failed (reformatted ext4). And we'll let you know our results.

> 3. Slow load times (33 seconds??)
>
> Is this reproducible?  It certainly shouldn't be taking 30 seconds for
> the IIAB home page to load.  If so this is a serious bug and I may
> need access to an XO-1.75 (what your using?) with the dataset to
> experiment.
>
> You mentioned a theory that IIAB was hitting a squid cache.  Can you
> elaborate?  I don't know how that would be possible because all IIAB
> content is local.  Is there a squid cache between the client and the
> School Server?

We may need a strategy to make this available.  It probably will have to
wait until we get back to a connection (non 3g).

> 4. /etc/iiab.conf

This was debugging churn. It works without /etc/iiab.conf.

> I don't usually use an /etc/iiab.conf config file.  The defaults will
> find the knowledge directory on any locally mounted drive.  Once you
> are done troubleshooting you should probably remove it.
>
> Be sure not to leave search_for_knowledge_dir to False as suggested by
> James in production or the system will not search mounted volumes
> (like USB drives) for the dataset.
>
> I performed an install on a stock Fedora 18 following the yum repo and
> WSGI instructions in INSTALL.txt last night.
>

> 5. Firefox vs Chrome

Also an artifact of churn.

> I heard you mention a switch to Firefox.  Was there really a browser
> issue, or was this just chasing shadows?
>
> Any other IIAB issues?

We don't have any remaining issues.  Thank you,

George