[IIAB] [XSCE] Massive -Offline- Open Courses

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Thu Jul 25 05:14:26 PDT 2013

FWIW, I played around with the edx source code a bit yesterday night, and
was able to get the edX studio (for course creation) and edX platform (for
students) up in a VM fairly easily... Some thoughts...

* It looked like quite the resource hog. I'm not sure how many users can a
decently fast ARM support simultaneously.
* It uses youtube videos for the "video part". This is a blocker. I hope we
could find another way around this, but would require digging into the
codebase.
* Installing it on an XSCE would probably be a fairly complex endeavor
because of all the dependencies and configurations.

OTOH
* "Better classroom integration" has been a* big demand* with XS and XO's
over the years. Teachers want the technology fit to their way of teaching
might find MOOCs beneficial.
* Teachers want easier content creation capabilities. (for reference,
easier than Moodle). The edX platform is pretty intuitive when it comes to
that (and much more dynamic).
* Anyone who's used edX before will know that it's pretty awesome at
fostering collaboration, discussion, and not just dumb video delivery. (and
it's getting better at it day by day).

So,
* *Need a careful analysis of whether edX can really run on low power, ARM
servers (and how many users can the realistically support).*
** Need a rough analysis of how much work would it be to install it on an
XSCE. Can we get around the youtube issue.*
** I feel the value being added by having such a platform justifies atleast
a reasonable effort to find the answers to the above two questions.*
** If anyone wants to tag along in this adventure, please let me know! :-)*
*
*
Cheers,
Anish