[IIAB] OLPC Server and Internet-in-a-Box Project

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Thu Mar 14 20:06:32 PDT 2013

Hello Tony,

It was good to talk to you at the Scale conference a couple weeks ago
about your OLPC Server work, and our "Internet-in-a-Box" project.

We are aiming to provide a variety of knowledge sources including
world-wide maps (osm), wikipedia (kiwix), gutenberg, open source
software, khan academy, etc on a low powered appliance.

I know there is a lot of overlap with your OLPC Server work and I'm
hoping we can be of use to each other.

I'm attaching a quick overview of the goals of our project.

A few things we might be able to offer you a la carte:

-We have world-wide zoomable street maps down to a resolution of 15 feet
running on a very low powered device with a very simple setup. We
pre-render the entire globe, with some extra emphasis on populated
places, from Open Street Map, and are then able to very easily serve up
the image tiles.  The dataset is about 130 GB and I'd be happy to ship
it to you.  It wasn't clear to me how far along your own mapping work was.

-We are working to get Debian Linux running on the new Seagate Wireless
Plus portable harddrive, which is very low power and can in fact run on
its internal battery for ten hours.  We are also working on running our
services on a Seagate GoFlex Home network hard drive, and a Seagate
Satellite (the predecessor of the Wireless Plus) in a fully
self-contained chroot image which really could be run from any ARM
device.  I know you had mentioned a desire to run on low power for solar
installations.

-Would a kiwix-compatible ZIM of Gutenberg content be of interest to you?

I am CC'ing our group - there are only about a half dozen people on the
list, all located in the LA area.

Hope we can collaborate - I know we could learn a lot from your
real-world experiences.

Braddock Gaskill