[IIAB] IIAB in Kiribati

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Sat Sep 21 16:13:20 PDT 2013

Hi Dennis,

Sounds like Kiribati would make for an ideal deployment of
Internet-in-a-Box.  You obviously have a pretty desperate need for
connectivity.

Note that the system is still experimental, so this would be a trial.
 However we have already had very successful trials in Sierra Leone
and Haiti.

I would ask that you donate $150 plus shipping to cover my hardware
costs for each unit IF the trial works out well.  It would take a
month or two for us to get the hardware ready.

It doesn't sound like you have any network infrastructure at all on
the far out islands you want to deploy the OLPCs to.  We have a
"wireless" version which just requires power (and will actually run on
battery) and will create a wifi network called "internet-in-a-box"
which the XO's can connect to access the Internet-in-a-box resources.
 It does not support any other outside network connections however.

So if you just wanted to get one of our "wireless" IIAB units and take
a stack of XO's to the students on an island it would be a complete
solution.  We have not had any "wireless" deployments before though.
Usually there is some network infrastructure on the site and our
device connects to a wired ethernet jack.

- -braddock