[IIAB] Ubuntu/Mint Repository

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Mon Dec 16 08:49:29 PST 2013

Hi John,
I've thought through this a bit.

It would probably be easiest for you to just use the online IIAB demo at:
http://demo.internet-in-a-box.org

Your mission is to figure out how to configure Ubuntu 12.04 to use
this mirror of the Ubuntu 12.04 repository.  The mirror is located in
the "Software" section at http://demo.internet-in-a-box.org/iiab/software/

The way this would work in the field is that an IIAB device would be
deployed to a school without internet access, or with very expensive
internet access.  The laptops at the school were donated and run Linux
Mint 13.  We want to reconfigure those laptops to use the IIAB device
repository to obtain software (I will add a Mint 13 repository mirror,
for now use Ubuntu 12.04).

We need to provide instructions that those schools can use to
configure their laptops to use the local IIAB respository mirror (the
IIAB devices always have the mdns host name "know.local").

Some insight might be gained by:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/37753/how-can-i-get-apt-to-use-a-mirror-close-to-me-or-choose-a-faster-mirror

and

http://www.howtoforge.com/local_debian_ubuntu_mirror
(we already have done the apt-mirror download obviously, just look at
how they configure apt to use the mirror).

- -braddock