[IIAB] ScaleX12

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Jan 29 16:08:35 PST 2014

Hi,

I am in Kuala Lumpur waiting on my connecting flight to the Philippines.
I plan to be at ScaleX12.

Caryl, I would like to exhibit BERNIE (Basic Educational Resources
Needed for Innovative Education). I will have a server loaded with the
content which can be accessed from XO laptops or regular PCs. BERNIE now
includes IIAB plus Khan Academy Lite plus OLE Nepal's E-Pustakalaya and
EPaath and more.

The BERNIE version of IIAB is currently deployed at two schools in
Lesotho, the Kliptown Youth Program in Soweto, South Africa, and Ecole
Saint Jacob in Kigali, Rwanda. I am on my way to the Philippines where
it will be deployed at a school in Palawan.

Since Khan Academy Lite also includes the full set of Khan Academy
videos, the IIAB copies are not loaded on the schoolserver - no need for
three copies of each. However, in Rwanda they are using the full English
Wikipedia, Simple English WIkipedia, Wikipedia for Schools, and the
French Wikipedia. (In Lesotho and Kliptown, the French Wikipedia was not
included). In addition, the Gutenberg collection and  OpenStreetMap are
available.

Incidentally, this is provided by the school server. No external device
is required.

Tony