[IIAB] install problems

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Fri Aug 16 12:44:26 PDT 2013

Hi Tony,

On 08/16/2013 04:09 AM, Tony Anderson wrote:
> This has led to installing a dozen Python packages from tar and
> zip downloads using python setup.py install. (pip is not installed
> but probably could be now that I have the repository set up.).

I worry you are straying very far from the beaten path and making a
lot of extra work for yourself.

pip as documented in our INSTALL.txt and my e-mail on usage under XS
0.7 should be doing all of this legwork for you, and ensure you are
getting the proper versions.

Without gcc and your rpm dependency hell this is difficult.  I'd
really recommend figuring out how to fix that because your platform is
really broken.

Even with broken gcc, I recommend you use pip to install all
pre-requisites except SQLAlchemy and lzma (which require gcc).  A list
of pre-requisites is in the IIAB repo file requirements.txt:

Flask>=0.10
Flask-Babel>=0.8
Flask-SQLAlchemy>=0.16
Flask-AutoIndex
Whoosh>=2.4.1
backports.lzma>=0.0.2

> The penultimate problem is that webapp.py, top-views.py,
> gutemberg.py, and zip-views.py import flaskext.babel. Apparently
> Flask has changed to import flask_babel. I changed this and all is
> ok.

This flask.babel import problem was fixed last week when you first
reported it.  pip install --upgrade Internet-in-a-Box should correct
it, or get the latest code from github.

> [Fri Aug 16 21:39:57 2013] [error] [client 172.18.96.177]     from
> sqlalchemy import orm, event [Fri Aug 16 21:39:57 2013] [error]
> [client 172.18.96.177] ImportError: cannot import name event

This is probably because CentOS 6.2 has a very old version of
SQLAlchemy installed via RPM.  Again, pip will install a compatible
version, but you won't be able to install it without gcc.

A longer term alternative to using pip that removes the gcc
requirement is for us to generate you CentoOS/XS0.7 specific RPMs.
This is what we are doing for XSCE, although there would be extra work
required because CentOS 6.2 is so far out of date compared to Fedora 18.

I'd be interested in more information why your attempt to install IIAB
on Ubuntu 12.04 failed.  That is our main development platform and is
pretty well tested.

- -bradodck