[IIAB] [KIWIX][INTERNET-IN-A-BOX] Nice project!

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Tue Mar 26 07:01:03 PDT 2013

Hey great!  I've been meaning to reach out to you Kiwix guys.  I think
we chatted on IRC a couple weeks ago briefly (dock).

I have been particularly interested in making a ZIM of gutenberg. We
have our own early stage gutenberg browser now, but ZIM and kiwix just
seems like the natural place for it, and I'm sure it would be useful to
others.

We are in a mad rush right now because Tony Anderson of OLPC wants to
take what we have to Africa in less than two weeks.  He has been using
kiwix for OLPC server deployments to Africa and Nepal, as you may know.

The Gutenberg project is a real mess.  But they already have scripts to
generate epub format output for all their books, and I thought the
simplest path to a Gutenberg ZIM would be to Calibre the epub back into
HTML with scaled images contained in ZIM.

However, I haven't been able to find any documentation on creating ZIM
files from HTML.  Do you have a starting place for me?

Another thing we really need is combined search of all document ZIMs
under Kiwix control with language filters.  This is perhaps something we
could contribute back to kiwix if it doesn't already exist.

I haven't dug deep into the kiwix code, but will be soon.

I am CC'ing our mailing list (there are about six of us).  You are also
welcome to join.

-braddock